The human body loves water as 60% of it is made of water. Water is loved by each and every cell of the body and the skin is no different. An adult is supposed to drink 8 glasses or 2 liters of water in a day to keep the body hydrated and running healthy. And is it just the health benefits? It has beauty benefits as well. Drinking lots of water can give you a more beautiful skin and how it happens is explained below.
Water and beauty treatment for your skin
Water keeps the skin hydrated and as you lose water throughout the day from your body, if you do not drink sufficient water your skin can end up looking dry and dull. This is how water acts on the skin.
- Reduces wrinkles – Drinking plenty of water is going to reduce the wrinkles on your face. Water retains the moisture in the skin and improves its elasticity and is a great anti-aging treatment that is going to cost you almost nothing.
- Gives a clear skin – When you drink plenty of water you help your digestive system to flush out the toxins. This can give a clear complexion and glowing skin. Just two cups of water can promote blood flow and even the skin tone.
- Reduces water retention – When you drink plenty of water the body gets hydrated. Water retention happens when the body is trying to fight dehydration and causes a puffy and blotched up appearance. By drinking sufficient water you can ensure smooth skin.
- Clears acne – Water can help to unclog the pores. It flushes out toxins and also tightens the pores. The result is fewer acne.
- Fights sunburn – Drinking sufficient water can speed up the process of healing from sunburns. This is the best natural remedy to get rid of those nasty burns.
- Helps fight eczema and other skin conditions – Since water can flush out the toxins and unclog the pores it also helps in fighting a variety of skin conditions. Though most of it requires medications, drinking water can also speed up the process.
- Prevents sagging – As the water reaches each cell of your body it plumps up the skin. It also tightens the skin a bit and ends up reducing the sagging of the skin.
- Maintains pH balance- For healthy skin it is important to maintain an optimal level of pH balance which is recommended to be 5.5. Drinking lots of water helps to maintain the pH levels and thus a beautiful skin.
There are many dermatologists and beauticians who take the stand that the evidence of the benefits water can do for the skin is not proven. According to them drinking lots of water is not enough to hydrate the skin. Hydration also depends on the ability of the skin to hold water. In people with normal thick skin, drinking water has not shown any specific benefits like reduced wrinkles, fine lines, or acne. The debate might continue, but the bottom line is that drinking plenty of water is mandatory for a healthy body.