Is this familiar? Fighting for precious sleep, tossing and turning until you’re completely frustrated, you throw off the covers on the way to the bathroom for the third time, and on your way, you kick the wall cursing. Now you’re completely awake and in pain, and so is your partner. This is an occasional experience most of share when we’re worried or excited about the next day’s events. Unfortunately, it’s a nightly occurrence for far too many of us.
When you have to work in four hours, and you still haven’t fallen into a deep sleep, the result can be fatigue at work, irritability toward friends and loved ones, lost productivity, and a reduction in your sense of well being. We all know this, and hence our quest for a good night’s sleep. A deep sleep at night has many health benefits we all enjoy including the following: energy restoration, reduced anxiety and depression, cell regeneration, increasing blood supply to muscles, promoting growth and repair of tissues and bones, strengthening the immune system, and a heightened sense of well-being and optimism.
Here are seven recommendations to facilitate a deep and restorative sleep. Make them a habit, and your sleeping habits will improve dramatically–and you’ll save your toes at night!
- Put yourself on a bedtime schedule where you go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day.
- Get plenty of exercise–about 20-30 minutes per day. Avoid exercising right before bed, however.
- Drink water and other decaffeinated drinks before bed because caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol will make it much harder to fall into a deep sleep..
- Create a bedtime routine to unwind from the day, like reading a book or taking a bath.
- Banish bright lights and loud noises from your bedroom, and turn off your TV or devices.
- Don’t lay in bed tossing and turning. Instead, get up and do some light activity such as reading until you feel tired again.
- Replace your pillows if you’ve owned them for over a year, especially if you find yourself turning them frequently to get comfortable.
- You also might simply need a new bed, so make this purchase count!
Also if you get sleepys then make sure you do not postpone it for other tasks that will spoil your sleep.